La Villette Park
More than a park, the Parc de la Villette is a huge complex devoted to nature and culture. The park spread over an area of 55 hectares, 33 hectares which are a green space. The rest of the area includes exhibition and concert halls (The Grande Halle, the Zénith, the Trabendo, the Cité des Sciences or the Music Museum…)
Walking and biking, napping, ball games, leisure activities and culture … There is something for everyone at the Parc de la Villette! Built along the nice Canal de l’Ourcq, the park offers indeed many meadows available day and night, several gardens, and cycle paths to enjoy the park surroundings by bike.
The Parc de la Villette is one of the largest parks in Paris and has the largest science museum in Europe.
In 1865, Baron Haussmann was commissioned by Napoléon III to "modernize" Parisian urbanism and decided to group the slaughterhouse and the livestock market in Paris at la Villette. The site was inaugurated in 1867. The architect Jules de Mérindol designed 3 immense halls for the livestock market to the north of the Canal de l’Ourcq and the slaughterhouses to the south. After economic problems, the whole compplex closed in 1974.
In 1982 the Swiss-born French landscape architect Bernard Tschumi won the competition of the design project of la Villette. This project was regarded as a meeting-point between arts and sciences, urbanism and lifestyle…
In 1984 was the opening of the Zenith de Paris, a concert-hall for rock and pop music, designed by Philippe Chaix and Jean-Paul Morel.
In 1985 was the renovation of the Grande Halle, where the old livestock market was, and the opening of the Géode, France’s biggest movie theatre with a 1000m2 hemispheric dome screen! It was designed by Aden Fainsilber and Gerard Chamayou. The next year, they designed the Cité des Sciences.
The current Parc de la Villette opened in 1987 with 35 hectares of green space, which makes it the biggest park in Paris. Then came the opening of the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse, and the Cité de la Musique, designed by Chritian de Portzamparc. The last cultural place opening was the Philarmonie de Paris design by Jean Nouvel.
Line 14 & 6 : Cour Saint Emillon, Bercy